How would you describe your solution in a few words?
Omnisens develops solutions to monitor the integrity of high-voltage power cables, which are considered critical assets, especially with the rise of renewable energy. Omnisens technology transforms a standard telecoms fibre that normally runs along these power cables into a continuous sensor that measures temperature, strain and/or vibration at thousands of points along this fibre.
The use of such solutions leads to the optimisation of power transmission and to the increase of the reliability of power transmission installations, whether they are onshore or offshore (offshore wind farms, submarine power interconnection between two countries, etc.).
Who are your customers?
Our clients are among the key players in the energy transition, including:
– Offshore wind farm developers (Orsted, Vattenfall, Equinor…);
– Power cable suppliers (Nexans, Prysmian, Hellenic Cable…);
– Transmission system operators (RTE, Elia, 50Hz…).
What are the environmental benefits of your solution?
Omnisens’ high voltage cable monitoring solution aims to make renewable energy generation and transmission both more reliable and more efficient.
In practice, monitoring enables:
- Prevent a cable failure (due to an electrical fault, excavation work, abnormal stress on the cable, etc.) leading to an offshore wind farm outage or a pure loss of power exchange between regions or countries;
- optimising the transport of electricity through the electricity interconnection, which is fundamental to support an increasing energy mix (e.g. taking into account wind energy production forecasts).
How do you manage to exist on the market?
By working side by side with key energy stakeholders to understand the needs and constraints of the new digitalised electrical infrastructures, Omnisens specifies and develops the monitoring technologies that are increasingly becoming a decision-making tool.
Nominated Solution: Cobra
Further information: www.omnisens.com/power-cable